Notable differences between Japanese and Australian schools:
1. Everyone lives at least half an hour away. It's weird having trains as the main mode of transport. Early mornings are the worst. Crowded stations, trains, and being pushed up against other people is awkward.
2. Squat toilets. I've had my fair share of embarassing/awkward moments with them. (Especially facing the wrong way? No one ever told me there was a 'right' way to do it.) But also the cool-ass modern toilets that have like a hundred buttons! They're very exciting but always make sure you know what they do! ALSO WARM SEATS! It was a little weird at the start, but it's soo nice. :)
3. B5 paper. This is probably the most bizzare thing ever. It bewilders me! They don't use A4 paper! I wonder if it saves more trees, though?
4. Shoe changing! Special shoes for classrooms/indoors. They're not that dazzling, either. Although there's a bit of a heel so I'm probably a couple of millimetres taller. :) They're called 'naa-san'.
5. Blackboards! No whiteboards, whatsoever. The classroom gets very chalky, although I love the feeling of writing with chalk.
6. Homeroom cleaning. I have mixed-feelings about this. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's just a pain in the butt. They also have special machines that clean blackboard dusters. They're very loud but it's probably the best job you'll get. The school actually does hire cleaning people, although they don't clean the classrooms. They sweep pieces of shredded newspaper allover the place. I don't quite understand how it works.
7. Sitting in alphabetical/numerical number. Since I'm the exchange student, I'm last. :( sanjuukyuu ban. (That's right. 39. The classes are pretty massive. read; hard to control.)
8. Classical music playing in the morning. I have no idea why. Have to keep turning up the volume on my iPod to block it out. In addition to strange noises, the bell is surprisingly worse than the one at MLC. It sounds like a cowbell being banged sixteen times over the loud-speaker thing. It goes off over 10 times a day. Fucking annoying.
9. Clubs! From soccer, volleyball and tennis club to manga, ikebana and sadou club. It's intense! Every student belongs to a club, which usually practices/meets most days after or before school. Clubs are run by the students, and are very busy. I spent my first month visiting E.S.S (English Speaking Society Club) since Akiko was in it, but officially I'm in Bijutsu (Art) Club and Sadou Club (Tea Ceremony.) There are regular performances by various clubs, and some big events like Bunkasai.
10. First and second years bowing at me, and being called 'Senpai'! Hehe. Hierarchical, much? Especially catching the train in the morning- seeing the first years giggling in groups- as soon as they see me they'd stop giggling and bow like crazy. Kind of cute, actually. :)
Japanese ways that I have succumed to:
1. Remembering to swap slippers when entering toilets! I used to forget, and end up wearing the toilet slippers around the house. I don't forget anymore. :)
2. Carrying an umbrella with me everywhere! It's such a granny thing to do in Australia but it's very normal over here! Definitely helps with stopping the skin cancer.
3. PEACE SIGNS! Whenever there's a camera, you'll see peace signs.
4. Bowing/nodding my head like crazy when first meeting someone.
1. Everyone lives at least half an hour away. It's weird having trains as the main mode of transport. Early mornings are the worst. Crowded stations, trains, and being pushed up against other people is awkward.
2. Squat toilets. I've had my fair share of embarassing/awkward moments with them. (Especially facing the wrong way? No one ever told me there was a 'right' way to do it.) But also the cool-ass modern toilets that have like a hundred buttons! They're very exciting but always make sure you know what they do! ALSO WARM SEATS! It was a little weird at the start, but it's soo nice. :)
3. B5 paper. This is probably the most bizzare thing ever. It bewilders me! They don't use A4 paper! I wonder if it saves more trees, though?
4. Shoe changing! Special shoes for classrooms/indoors. They're not that dazzling, either. Although there's a bit of a heel so I'm probably a couple of millimetres taller. :) They're called 'naa-san'.
5. Blackboards! No whiteboards, whatsoever. The classroom gets very chalky, although I love the feeling of writing with chalk.
6. Homeroom cleaning. I have mixed-feelings about this. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's just a pain in the butt. They also have special machines that clean blackboard dusters. They're very loud but it's probably the best job you'll get. The school actually does hire cleaning people, although they don't clean the classrooms. They sweep pieces of shredded newspaper allover the place. I don't quite understand how it works.
7. Sitting in alphabetical/numerical number. Since I'm the exchange student, I'm last. :( sanjuukyuu ban. (That's right. 39. The classes are pretty massive. read; hard to control.)
8. Classical music playing in the morning. I have no idea why. Have to keep turning up the volume on my iPod to block it out. In addition to strange noises, the bell is surprisingly worse than the one at MLC. It sounds like a cowbell being banged sixteen times over the loud-speaker thing. It goes off over 10 times a day. Fucking annoying.
9. Clubs! From soccer, volleyball and tennis club to manga, ikebana and sadou club. It's intense! Every student belongs to a club, which usually practices/meets most days after or before school. Clubs are run by the students, and are very busy. I spent my first month visiting E.S.S (English Speaking Society Club) since Akiko was in it, but officially I'm in Bijutsu (Art) Club and Sadou Club (Tea Ceremony.) There are regular performances by various clubs, and some big events like Bunkasai.
10. First and second years bowing at me, and being called 'Senpai'! Hehe. Hierarchical, much? Especially catching the train in the morning- seeing the first years giggling in groups- as soon as they see me they'd stop giggling and bow like crazy. Kind of cute, actually. :)
Japanese ways that I have succumed to:
1. Remembering to swap slippers when entering toilets! I used to forget, and end up wearing the toilet slippers around the house. I don't forget anymore. :)
2. Carrying an umbrella with me everywhere! It's such a granny thing to do in Australia but it's very normal over here! Definitely helps with stopping the skin cancer.
3. PEACE SIGNS! Whenever there's a camera, you'll see peace signs.
4. Bowing/nodding my head like crazy when first meeting someone.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home